Food, family, crafts, and other stuff we like


Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tex Mex Egg Breakfast


I always chuckle when something is labeled "Tex Mex".  Obviously it is a fusion of Texan and Mexican foods, and it involves some spicy smokiness, but otherwise it just sounds kind of goofy.  Well I done gone and used the spurs-and-mustachioed cowboy term for this delicious meal right here.  I heated leftover turkey taco meat, scrambled in some eggs, topped it with super sharp white cheddar and, viola!  Sides of buttery avocado, chipotle cheese dip, cherry tomatoes, and blue corn chips round out this spicy,  nacho-inspired breakfast.

There's not a whole lot more to know, except how I originally prepared the meat.  I tried out Trader Joe's brand taco seasoning packet and man was it spicy.  I was wincing a little. My kids could not eat it.  (Had to whip out a can of black beans).

What is this meal missing?  Sour cream.  I was out,  and too lazy to walk to the corner store so I suffered through without.  If I were you and I were making this dish, I would seriously consider adding Le Sour Cream to your Ranchero moment.  Maybe some diced fresh green onion to garnish.

Meat:

Saute diced onion and garlic in a little olive oil over medium heat.  Brown salted ground turkey (or beef or tofu) for 8-10 minutes.  Add the seasoning packet and a cup of water.  Cover.  Simmer for 10 minutes.

No comments: