Food, family, crafts, and other stuff we like


Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

Creamy Brussel Sprouts


My kid is weird.  She loves brussel sprouts.  Aren't they supposed to be the one vegetable kids loathe more than any other?  My other kid doesn't exactly love them, but she'll eat them. What's my secret to getting my kids to eat almost ANY vegetable?  Butter and salt.  Not heart-attack levels of salt, but a little sprinkling over broccoli that's been kissed with melted butter and it's the first thing to disappear from the plate.  "But they'll never eat 'em plain if you always use butter and salt."  Not true.  And if it were, so what?  The point is: THE KID IS EATING VEGETABLES.




So, creamy, lemon-finished brussel sprouts.  I'm pretty sure I found this recipe at 101cookbooks.com, an awesome vegetarian blog by SF gal Heidi Swanson.  Anyhoo, this recipe turns a dinnertime vegetable protest into, well, a dinnertime fork-banging circus.

You will need:


Brussel Sprouts
1/2 cup or so of cream
butter
1/2 of a lemon
salt
pepper

Wash your brussel sprouts and trim the ends off.  I peel off the outer layer of skin if there's any discoloration or funk present.  Quarter lengthwise.

Heat a big chunk of organic butter in a skillet on medium-high until it's nice and warm.  Add brussel sprouts.  Let them cook until they have browned sides.  Approximately 7 minutes.  Lower heat to medium-low. Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Pour 1/2 cup of cream over sprouts.  Cover.  Cook 3 minutes. Now test them out.  I like them soft but still a bit firm. (The carmelized sides are key to their deliciousness so make sure you start out on a high enough heat).

Lastly, squeeze half a lemon over entire pan.  Stir.  Serve.

Here's what the whole dinner looked like:




Turkey meatloaf, creamy polenta with feta, and brussel sprouts.  Spilled milk not pictured.

1 comment:

KV said...

I used to hide my overcooked mushy brussel sprouts under the rim of my plate when my mother served them! Hated them so much, and even nearly got my mouth washed out with soap one night when I commented that they "smelled like poop"!
Pap